How To Watch The U.S. And México In The Women's U-20 World Cup?
We all know you can't wait until the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, but while you wait, you should know that it is not the only FIFA WC being played this year. In fact, this Wednesday, Aug. 10, we will be witnesses to a new big-stage tournament: the Women's U-20 World Cup.
Yep. New stars, new dreams and all that is happening inside the Concacaf neighborhood. Costa Rica hosts the event, while another three teams from the region – Canada, Mexico and United States – are among the 16 countries seeking the glory.
How to watch the Women's U-20 World Cup?
If you are a wild spirit with money in the pockets, you probably should know there are still tickets available for the tournament. But in case you are more of a glass-of-wine-in-front-of-the-tv person, you don't need to worry because the Women's U-20 World Cup will be broadcasted in the U.S. by two networks:
- Fox (and its different channels) for English speakers
- Telemundo/Universo for Spanish audiences
Mexico schedule in the Women's U-20 World Cup
El Tri is in Group B along with New Zealand, Colombia and Germany. And this is its list of fixtures:
- Wednesday, Aug. 10: vs. New Zealand at 4 p.m. ET (Universo)
- Saturday, Aug. 13: vs. Colombia at 7 p.m. ET (Universo / Fox Soccer Plus)
- Tuesday, Aug. 16: vs. Germany at 7 p.m. ET (Telemundo / FS1)
Mexico's preparation for the tournament hasn't been focused on the pitch but on the sudden dismissal of coach Maribel Domínguez. The Mexican federation (FMF) decided to fire her after an unnamed player wrote a letter accusing her and her staff of "serious" misconduct. The FMF denied reports of sexual abuse and justified the decision because of a "lack of leadership and inappropriate behaviors that are against the values of teamwork."
Ana Galindo took the reins of a squad that will miss one of the best talents in Liga MX Femenil, Aylín Avilez. The player is healthy but decided to pass the opportunity, feeding rumors related to the previous paragraph.
The 21 players representing Mexico in the tournament will be:
- Goalkeepers: Celeste Espino (Chivas), Paola Manríque (Pachuca), Natalia Acuña (Tijuana)
- Defenders: Fernanda Canseco (Pachuca), Carl Cazares (sin club), Daniela Monroy (Cruz Azul), Jana Gutiérrez (Tigres), Kinberly Guzmán (Chivas), Samantha López (Pumas), Alexandra Ramírez (Pachuca)
- Midfielders: Paola Chavero (Pumas), Daniela Delgado (Santos Laguna), Isabela Gutiérrez (East Carolina University), Maritza Maldonado (Querétaro), Bridgette Marín (PSV Union FC), Natalia Mauleón (América), Blanky Serrano (Pachuca), Alice Soto (Pachuca), Anette Vásquez (Chivas)
- Forwards: América Frías (Bay Area Surf), Alexia Villanueva (Santos Laguna)
U.S. schedule in the Women's U-20 World Cup
Americans will share Group D with Japan, the Netherlands and Ghana, and the calendar looks like this:
- Thursday, Aug. 11: vs. Ghana at 1 p.m. ET (FS2, Universo)
- Sunday, Aug. 14: vs. the Netherlands at 7 p.m. (FS1, Universo)
- Wednesday, Aug. 17: vs. Japan at 7 p.m. (FS2, Telemundo)
The United States is tied with Germany as the country with more women's U-20 World Cup titles, but the last time they lifted the trophy was in 2012.
Teenager sensation Olivia Moultrie and striker Michelle Cooper lead a roster that dreams about keeping the U.S. dominion on the soccer stage in the years to come. The full squad?
- Goalkeepers: Mia Justus (Florida State), Neeku Purcell (UCLA), Teagan Wy (California)
- Defenders: Lauren Flynn (Florida State), Samar Guidry (Virginia), Emily Mason (Rutgers), Ayo Oke (California), Lilly Reale (UCLA), Laney Rouse (Virginia)
- Midfielders: Korbin Albert (Notre Dame), Talia DellaPeruta (UNC), Carina Lageyre (Duke), Sally Menti (Santa Clara), Olivia Moultrie (Portland Thorns FC)
- Forwards: Trinity Byars (Texas), Michelle Cooper (Duke), Simone Jackson (USC), Andrea Kitahata (Stanford), Ally Sentnor (UNC), Jaedyn Shaw (San Diego Wave FC), Alyssa Thompson (Total Futbol Academy)
What about the other Concacaf teams?
Costa Rica is in Group A with Australia, Spain and Brazil.
- Wednesday, Aug. 10: vs. Australia at 10 p.m. ET (FS2, Telemundo)
- Saturday, Aug. 13: vs. Spain at 10 p.m. ET (FS2, Telemundo)
- Tuesday, Aug. 16: vs. Brazil at 10 p.m. ET (FS1, Telemundo)
Finally, Canada is in Group C, facing the Republic of Korea, France and Nigeria.
- Thursday, Aug. 11: vs. Republic of Korea at 10 p.m. ET (FS1, Telemundo)
- Sunday, Aug. 14: vs. France at 10 p.m. (FS1, Telemundo)
- Wednesday, Aug. 17: vs. Nigeria at 10 p.m. (FS2, Telemundo)