A wonderful design inspired by pre-Spanish elements takes the leading role in the new Mexico away jersey launched Monday by adidas.
The kit complements handsomely the green home uniform revealed in July and completes the Mexican national team collection for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
Mexico Away Jersey 2022 World Cup
The new jersey has a white background and is decorated with a very pleasing graphic in cherry red, a color that is not strange in Mexican soccer history.
The drawings are not random but "represent the country's indigenous roots and cultural icons," according to adidas. All through a series of particular elements related to the local mythology.
Those components are:
- Malinalli: Grass that flowers, grass that ascends to the cosmos and connects to the netherworld through its roots
- Conch shell: Wind and spirit, representing the first breath of life and the last exhalation. The conch is linked to Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli, the lord of the dawn, represented in the new day, and in December to Xólotl, who is represented dusk and accompanies it to the netherworld — closely identified with Quetzalcóatl
- Spiral: Word that flourishes. It represents truth, song, poetry
- Staff: The speaking stick. Quetzalcóatl carries it as the staff of leadership in some codices
- New fire: Rubbing the sacred wood, it emanates fire. This represents the cosmic cycles (every 52 years)
Nice, isn't it?
Mexico will wear the new jersey for the first time in the friendly game against Paraguay on Wednesday, Aug. 31, at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, United States.
During the World Cup, you will see El Tri donning it in the group stage against Poland and Argentina.