Wintry Arctic Blast Causes Football Chaos Throughout UK

The UK was hit by a wintry blast from the Arctic this weekend as Storm Arwen brought high winds, freezing temperatures and heavy snowfall across the nation, while England and the Premier League experienced the brunt of it on Sunday.

The weather disrupted football matches across the land, most notably at Turf Moor as Burnley and Tottenham’s match was called off less than an hour before kickoff.

Burnley manager Sean Dyche, despite appearing pitch-side to monitor the situation in only a dress shirt, agreed with the decision.

“As you can see the pitch re-covers every time they clear it. The referee explained the safety angle as well so it was important to make a decision early,” Dyche said. “It fell that quick and that heavy. It’s still quite strong now. Can’t get rid of the snow that quick. It’s the lines being cleared as well — we would have to stop and clear them. It’s a joint decision with everyone concerned. We were ready for the game and I made it clear if it could be played we wanted it on — as did their manager (Antonio Conte)."

The scene wasn’t much different in Manchester, where City welcomed West Ham to the Etihad. Snow began falling thick and fast in the first half, but the grounds crew did an excellent job at halftime and the weather cooperated throughout the second 45.

Up in Scotland, the match between Livingston and Rangers was delayed after Rangers supporters hit Livingston’s goalkeeper with snowballs. 

“We shouldn’t be standing here talking about the doughballs with the snowballs,” Livingston manager David Martindale said after the match. “I just think it’s a little bit of a blight on Scottish football. It’s on national telly and people are watching that so, come on, screw the nut a wee bit.”

Leicester City’s 4-2 win over Watford at the King Power was also a magical winter wonderland.  

Embed from Getty Images

Embed from Getty Images

Perhaps the best story out of Britain comes from The Tan Hill Inn in the Yorkshire Dales, which, at 1,732 feet above sea level, is Britain’s highest pub. Guests arrived on Friday after watching an Oasis tribute band and are now set to spend their third night inside due to a fallen power line and snow blocking the routes out. 

One guest said the experience so far was “very good” with “plenty of beer available.”

Videos you might like