This year's 2018 FIFA World Cup will be held in Moscow, Russia. Luzhniki Stadium will be the main venue and the heart of the tournament, used for the opening match, a semifinal and the final, among other matches. In addition to the millions of tickets sold for the tournament, 12 million people already live in Moscow. So it can be anticipated that things are going to get a little bit wild in the capital of Russia this summer. With all of the craziness that is bound to take place, you may want to pre-plan some of the fun you will experience while visiting Russia for this year's World Cup. Below are some of the most delicious restaurants in Russia, from the best grab-and-go's to luxurious dining, and all of the pubs and clubs that are must hits in order to truly party like a Russian.
The Best Restaurants In Moscow
Restaurants that serve food at an average price of 500 RUB or less, or about $8. Most of these restaurants are called “stolovayas,” which means they have already-prepared food that you can put on your tray and then pay for at the cash register.
- My-My (Moo-moo)
- Грабли (Grabli)
- Вареничная (Varenichnaya)
- Столовая 57 (Stolovaya 57)
- ОбедБуфет (ObedBufet)
- Братья Караваевы (Bratya karavaevy)
- Ёлки-Палки (Yolki-Palki)
- БОНО (Buono)
- Novikov Restaurant & Bar (The Ritz-Carlton, Moscow)
- Кафе Пушкинъ (Café Pushkin)
Note: Tipping is expected in Russian restaurants and standard gratuity is 10 percent of the total before tax.
Foods To Try
When eating at these restaurants, natives suggest trying these Russian foods.
- Blini (блины) — Russian pancakes; can be eaten as a main dish with a meat filling or as a dessert with jam.
- Borsch (борщ) — Red beetroot soup with sour cream.
- Permeni (пельмени) — Russian dumplings
- Solyanka (Солянка) — Soup with a little bit of everything (pickles, lemons, olives, sausages and sauerkraut).
- Russian salad (Салат Оливье) — The house salad of Russia. In other words, one of the most popular salads, which consists of boiled potatoes, carrots, eggs, peas, ham and mayonnaise.
- Golubtsy (голубцы) — Cabbage leaves that are stuffed with different fillings, usually consisting of different meat.
- Ikra (икра) — Caviar.
The Best Pubs And Bars In Moscow
- Джон Донн (John Donne)
- Paulaner Bräuhaus
- Blacksmith Irish Pub
- Лига Пап (Liga Pop)
- Арена Олимп (Arena Olimp)
- Мюнхен (Munchen Rest)
- St. Peter's & St. Anton St. Pub
- Bobby Dazzler Pub
- Tap & Barrel Pub
- Temple Bar
- Lion's Head Pub
- Scotland Yard
- Haggis Pub & Kitchen
Call in advance because these pubs and bars will be packed during the World Cup. Phone numbers should be visible on their websites and an English speaker will be available.
Note: The average cost of a pint of beer in Moscow is 200 RUB, or about $3.25.
The Best Night Clubs In Moscow
- Crazy Daisy
- Denis Simachev
- Strelka Bar
- Tema Bar
- Rolling Stone
- 16 Tons
Dress to impress! Many clubs in Moscow will not let you enter if you're wearing jeans or sneakers.
If you are looking for more interactive partying, a Moscow pub crawl may be right up your ally. You can click here to sign up for a pub crawl that will be filled with locals and travelers alike.
Have fun at the World Cup! Inside and out of the games it should be an exciting experience. These lists should act as your guide to eat, drink and party like a Russian!