Ghanaian soccer player Christian Atsu remains missing after two devastating earthquakes struck Turkey and Syria, Hatayspor director Volkan Demirel told Reuters on Wednesday
Atsu, 31, was reported to have been rescued from the rubble with injuries and transported to hospital following Monday's huge quakes.
"There is no information on his whereabouts yet, we don't know where he is," Demirel said. "It's not the case that he was pulled out or taken anywhere else."
‼️ Hatayspor Board Member Mustafa Özat: "I received information that Christian Atsu was rescued from the rubble, but it was NOT true.""I gave the same information to the press, but at the moment, the information received is that Atsu and Taner Savut are under the rubble." pic.twitter.com/oOcvjBPA9A
— EuroFoot (@eurofootcom) February 8, 2023
Christian Atsu's agent says the footballer's whereabouts are unknown, a day after it was reported he was pulled from the rubble of a building "with injuries" after the Turkey earthquakes.
-BBC pic.twitter.com/kVf1jcgPeq— Eric Njiru (@EricNjiiru) February 8, 2023
UPDATE: Atsu is yet to be found according to Hatayspor club doctorWe are following up on the news, and praying for his safety
Stay strong Christian ❤️ https://t.co/hR3W1onDCW
— MARHABA (@CAF_Online) February 8, 2023
The search for Atsu is ongoing, Demirel added.
Ghana national team player Atsu had joined Hatayspor in September of last year, after nearly a decade at English clubs Chelsea and Newcastle United.
The death toll from the earthquake in Turkey and Syria passed 11,000. It is one of this century’s worst natural disasters.Follow our updates.https://t.co/pZAza3wTc5 pic.twitter.com/VXeDgbRiER
— The New York Times (@nytimes) February 8, 2023
(Editing by Christian Radnedge)