Bayern Munich's Incredible Opening Champions League Game Record
Get the best email in soccer.
Bayern Munich has been one of the most consistent and dominant teams in the 21st century.
Aside from their record-breaking dominance in the Bundesliga, the six-time European champions have a UEFA Champions League record that will probably be impossible to match.
Bayern Munich’s Champions League Opening Game Winning Streak
Bayern Munich’s 2-0 away win against Inter Milan in the first match day of 2022-23 European campaign extended the German’s winning streak in the opening game of the tournament to 19.
Bayern has won every single opening game since the 2003-04 UEFA Champions League campaign.
- 2003-04: Celtic Glasgow (2-1)
- 2004-05: Maccabi Tel Aviv (0-1)
- 2005-06: SK Rapid Wien (0-1)
- 2006-07: Spartak Moscow (4-0)
- 2008-09: Steaua Bukarest (0-1)
- 2009-10: Maccabi Haifa (0-3)
- 2010-11: Roma (2-0)
- 2011-12: Villareal CF (0-2)
- 2012-13: Valencia CF (2-1)
- 2013-14: CSKA Moskau (3-0)
- 2014-15: Manchester City (1-0)
- 2015-16: Olympiakos (0-3)
- 2016-17: FK Rostow (5-0)
- 2017-18: RSC Anderlecht (3-0)
- 2018-19: Benfica (0-2)
- 2019-20: Crvena Zvezda (3-0)
- 2020-21: Atlético de Madrid (4-0)
- 2021-22: Barcelona (0-3)
- 2022-23: Inter Milan (0-2)
*Did not participate in the UEFA Champions League in the 2007-08 season.
In retrospect, the last time Bayern Munich lost in Match Day 1 of the Champions League, Jamal Musiala — German and Bayern Munich wonder boy — was seven months old.
Talk about longevity.
That perhaps isn’t the most impressive statistic, though.
Bayern Is A Defensive Powerhouse
Aside from their marvelous winning streak, the 2020 European champions have also put on defensive masterclasses in their opening games.
Bayern Munich has only conceded two goals in its 19-game winning streak.
The last team to score on them in the opening game was Valencia in the 2012-13 campaign, and the only team before that was Celtic in the 2003-04.
Out of this world.
If you’re a Bayern Munich goalkeeper in your team’s opening game, just know it’ll be a slow day at the office.